Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Felt Wreath Success & Tutorial

In my last post, I shared what didn't go so right with my first try at making a felt rosette wreath. Here's a look at my second and much more successful attempt (and lovely wreaths thereafter) and what I learned in the process.

Ruby Red Valentine's Heart Wreath


To start I went to a supplier (namely JoAnn Fabrics) that sold lots of styrofoam wreath options and higher quality felt fabric in a variety of colors. To make a Felt Rosette Heart Wreath you will need the following:


1. Styrofoam Wreath
2. Approx. 3/4 yard of Felt
3. Straight Sewing Pins
4. Scissors
5. Cup
6. Pen (I used a sharpie pen)

Step 1: Trace your cup onto the felt fabric with your pen to create uniform circles.


Step 2: Cut just inside the circle so that the pen marks don't show on your rosette (lesson learned from my 1st attempt).


Step 3: Create Rosettes by folding the circle in half once and then in half again until you have a rounded triangle shape.



 Step 4: Stick a straight pin through all four layers of the felt at the bottom of the rosette.


Step 5: Start pinning the rosettes into the styrofoam wreath layering over one another to create a dense pattern of fluffy felt.


Step 6: Continue to trace, cut, fold and pin rosettes until your wreath is covered and to your liking. I leave the back empty so that you can lay the wreath flat on a surface or if you hang it on a door or wall it will lay flush.


Bright Magenta Valentine's Heart Wreath


Magenta Wreath Back
Step 7: Admire your handiwork!

Peacock Blue Wreath



Photos by Kyle @ 918 Photo

Next Time: Bookbinding

No comments:

Post a Comment